Do you spend a lot of time in a sitting position due to work or hobbies, or do you train a lot in the gym? In the past, everything was fine, but now you often have back and spine pain? Maybe you need to see a doctor for help? What causes back pain? Which doctor should I go to and how should I deal with the wound? We will talk about this later in the article.
What causes pain?
So, "What to do if your back hurts and what can cause it? ", Let's take a closer look at this question. There can be enough reasons. The fact is that back and back pain can indicate a number of diseases of both the spine and internal organs. This is because many nerve endings that cover all the internal organs move away from the spine. Therefore, we can talk about some specific diseases due to the localization of pain in a particular region of the range.
What does low back pain say and which doctor should I contact? Both habits and illnesses can cause back pain. The first are:
- Permanent sedentary work. IT workers and drivers are at risk.
- Permanent work.
- Frequent great physical activity. Athletes, especially weightlifters, are at risk.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
- A separate risk group includes pregnant women and newborns.
As you can see, everything is simple with habits. In the latter case, the pain in the lower back can often be caused by disease. Here you can also mention diseases of the spine and back pain, which are only a symptom. These include osteochondrosis, spondyloarthritis, intervertebral hernia and protrusion.
The second group includes possible causes of back pain:
- Fracture of the chain due to trauma.
- A fracture that causes osteoporosis.
- A tumor localized in the spinal canal.
- Long-term muscle tension.
- Narrow structure of the spinal canal (very rare).
- Various complications during pregnancy.
- Various arthritis such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis.
- Spinal deformities, such as kyphosis, scoliosis, Scheuermann-Mau disease, kyphoscoliosis.
- Spinal tuberculosis, osteomyelitis, discitis.
- Urolithiasis, pyelonephritis.
- Ovarian cancer, endometriosis, ovarian cysts.
When should you see a doctor?
Mild back pain, which is the result of rapid and prolonged exertion, is the norm. However, if the back hurts for a very long time, or if the pain is intermittent, it occurs spontaneously and then disappears, it is worth giving an alarm. You should go to the hospital immediately after a severe back injury. It should be understood that low back pain may be accompanied by pain in the foot or lower leg. Also, part of the foot or hip may be numb. In this case, you have something serious and should be examined as soon as possible.
It is unlikely that you will be diagnosed, so you should go to the hospital, but which doctor should you see? Someone will tell a chiropractor, someone a neurologist is more experienced. Both options are correct, but it is better to consult a neurologist, because he will be able to correctly identify and conduct the entire course of the disease. And in this situation the cause will be determined more precisely and there is every chance to successfully cope. Based on the severity and severity of low back pain, you can determine the approximate cause of low back pain from a neurologist's point of view.
Acute back pain in men and women is the result of recent injuries (falls, muscle tension, shock, sudden movements). Also, the cause may be working long hours in a restless situation or carrying and lifting heavy objects for long periods of time. And finally, don't forget a cold back due to hypothermia or prolonged exposure to a draft. Here you can easily treat back pain with folk remedies.
Dislocation of the lumbago and intervertebral discs can be distinguished from the common ones. The first disease is people whose area of activity suffers from constant heavy physical labor, so men have back pain. According to people, the disease is called "lumbago". It usually stops at rest or after a few days. However, it can easily last up to a month, so at least home treatment is required for back pain.
Acute and severe lumbar pain in the lumbar region also manifests itself when the intervertebral discs are dislocated. The disease can be caused by various injuries, such as heavy physical labor or osteochondrosis. You will not be able to get medical treatment at home. Hospitalization and complete diagnosis are required. It can even go as far as surgery.
Severe pain differs from acute pain in that it lasts longer and is the result of a type of disease related to the musculoskeletal system. These include lumbar sciatica and osteochondrosis. With them, back pain in the lower back is felt during sneezing, coughing, sitting, walking, in short, back pain during any movement. They may also have pain in the lower extremities and may even fall asleep. It is no longer necessary to run here, but to fly to the doctor who is present for examination.
As a rule, the spine suffers from a sharp strong tension of the spinal muscles. You can relieve back pain by just resting for a few hours. But you should not fly in the clouds, you should be in a state of excitement, because your back hurts from severe hypothermia. Thus, a more chronic disease of myositis, in which the psoas muscles become inflamed, may develop. In this case, in addition to knowing how to relieve pain, a few days of rest is required.
Frequent deformities are caused by spondylosis. The main symptoms of this disease are back pain that spreads to the back or legs. Congestion may also occur in the lower extremities. Other diseases that cause similar symptoms are: cancer, impaired metabolism, ankylosing spondylitis.
Such painful sensations are not the result of back pain, but the result of disease of some organs entering the dorsal region. These include diseases of the pelvic organs of both men and women, as well as diseases of the intestine, kidneys, pancreas and various types of tumors.
How is the treatment performed?
How to get rid of back pain? You must first go to the hospital and make an appointment with a specialist for an examination. After the examination, the attending physician should refer you for an examination to confirm or deny the suspected diagnosis. You can have an X-ray of your spine to find out what it is. Today, a more advanced method called myelography is used.
This method allows a detailed study of the pathways leading to the spinal cord. Reveals all pathologies in case of reduced road openness. Before the X-ray, it is worth noting that the spinal cord will be injected with a syringe containing xenon, which will highlight everything in the picture. This method is very expensive, but very effective and almost always helps to find out why your back hurts. In addition, MRI, ultrasound, ECG and CT can be prescribed. In additional cases, complete blood count, etc. Other tests such as may be required.
In most cases, medications are great for back pain. It aims to relieve pain, eliminate and further prevent inflammatory processes, improve blood circulation and regenerate damaged tissues. After learning why you have low back pain, we can get an overview of how to treat low back pain.
Conventionally, all treatments can be divided into 3 stages: the beginning of treatment, the treatment itself and the end of treatment. At each stage, the drug can play the role of drops, both in the form of blockages and injections. In the first stage, treatment of low back pain should eliminate the pain itself, reduce swelling and inflammation, relieve spasms and relax the muscles. In the second stage, it is necessary to get rid of the disease completely. Here the treatment is mainly local. Ointments and mixtures are used for compresses. In addition, physiotherapy is recommended.
The third stage consists of injections that increase the regeneration of damaged tissues and nourish them with all the necessary components. Thus, the full functionality of the segment is restored. The choice of medication and treatment at all stages depends on your diagnosis and the choice of the attending physician. Self-medication is strictly prohibited.
Once the cause of the pain is determined, treatment can be started using physiotherapy. The following treatments can be distinguished by their causes:
- Laser therapy.
- Exposure to electric current, etc.
Physical therapy focuses on how to treat back pain in the early stages. It can be recommended as an adjunctive treatment in the later stages of the disease. The necessary therapy is prescribed only by the attending physician after the examination.
In most cases, back pain does not require surgery. However, if you have been in pain for a long time and it gets worse over time, and you refuse to see a doctor, this treatment is also possible. In this case, it is likely that general anesthesia will be applied where the lytic mixture is used to completely immobilize the patient. The operation plan itself will be prepared by the surgeon based on the diagnostic information.
Traditional medicine can also answer the question "How to get rid of back pain? "There are various home-made ointments, lotions, etc. , depending on the severity of pain symptoms. In most cases, treatment of the spine with folk remedies justifies itself only as first aid. With long-term self-medication, without knowing the root cause of the pain, the disease can become very severe. Then a few folk remedies.
- A compress of fried horseradish and radish mixed with sour cream is applied to the painful area of the back. From above, they are all covered with a paper napkin and the whole lower back is covered with a scarf. Such a compress perfectly relieves pain symptoms and relieves muscle spasms.
- When your back hurts, hot compresses from an infusion prepared with a mixture of medicated injuries will help. These include thyme, chamomile, St. John's wort and black elderberry. The compress is applied at night. The affected area is wrapped in a warm cloth. It is recommended to carry out treatment at night. It is made from the infusion of the same dried burdock leaves.
- Another treatment with folk remedies is based on the healing properties of horse chestnut. First you need to powder the chestnuts. Then mix with camphor oil and melted lard. Ingredients are given in approximately the same amount. The resulting ointment is spread on a slice of black bread and applied as a compress to the back of the wound. Such a tool can improve blood circulation, has nutritional and anti-inflammatory properties.
But keep in mind that no matter how good folk remedies work, you still need to see a doctor. After all, self-medication is always done at your own risk. In addition, it may appear that treatment procedures bring only short-term relief, after which the pain will sometimes intensify.
When you have low back pain, it is too late to prevent it. But in order to avoid such a problem for as long as possible, how to prevent it and think about what caused it? It has been described above that people who already lead a sedentary or sedentary lifestyle, athletes, especially weightlifters and overweight people, are at risk.
Therefore, the best prevention of the disease is mandatory morning exercises, sports, therapeutic exercises, reducing the load on the back, massage, nutrition control, etc. It is also checked periodically to rule out things that can cause back pain. the doctor will help.
What to do if your back hurts a lot and it is too far to go to the hospital? How to quickly get rid of back pain while waiting for a doctor? To do this, you need to know some methods of first aid. Of course, they will not have a therapeutic effect, but they will help to cope with the pain. So we do everything in stages:
- We sleep on our backs, on a hard bed or on the floor. The blanket should be removed from the bed.
- At the same time, the legs are raised and bent at the knees. For more comfort, place a pillow or spread blanket under your raised feet.
- We take the usual dose of painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs we have.
- We try not to lie down and make sudden movements.
- Remember to call a doctor at home during the procedure.
- In most cases, you will need rest and bed rest in the coming days. After the doctor's visit, call the office and inform your supervisor.
- Try to avoid bitter and smoked foods during and after treatment.